Friday, December 14, 2007

Eden Farms

As most of you know the reason Jason and I live in Seguin is so that I could pursue my dreams of running a horse facility. We board horses here at our farm along with giving lessons and training. My love affair with horses started when I was six and took my first lesson. My mom had know idea what she was starting! Since then I have owned and sold many different horses, each having a special place in my heart. Like humans, they all have different personalities, different quirks. Some love attention, and would rather give a lesson to a beginning child that is pulling on the reins and bouncing on their backs than running free in the field. Others are more stand offish and make you earn their love and affection. Something about there huge brown eyes and willingness to please has drawn me in and never let go. Fulfilling my dream has been both rewarding and stressful. There are times that I want to pack up and move to a house in town where there is no poop, no mud, no animals demanding my time. Last night was especially difficult, I had to make the decision to put down my horse, Kolby. I took him to a hunter/jumper trainer a week ago and while there he had a terrible case of colic and was put down. He was a beautiful, kind, talented gelding that will be missed. But then again there is nothing like seeing a child with low self-esteem conquer the trot for the first time it makes it all worth it. I took two of my students to their first show a month ago which was so rewarding for both them and me. It was seeing my passion coming full circle. I love sharing my love for others its something that I feel very fortunate to be able to do and to give.

1 comment:

jeri said...

you know, baby, that my heart aches for you and the decision that you had to make for kolby. but it was the only one to make but i know that doesnt make it any easier. dont give up on your passion for horses, even though its been a rough time lately with them. but they ground you and complete you in many ways and the talent God gave you with them is remarkable. i love watching you ride, train and now give lessons. you are passing on your passion to other little girls. way to go. i love you, mom